Please click here for important travel advice regarding Coronavirus.


Major Updates

The project

We developed a pilot programme in 2015/16 working with Registered Social Landlords (RSLs) and their tenants to increase sustainable transport opportunities for residents, primarily by improving or creating cycle parking in their properties, promoting Wheels to Work and other support services, and linking residents to active travel opportunities. A budget of £35,000 was used to match fund 50% of product and installation costs, as well as to contribute towards events and miscellaneous costs.

Project outcomes

The project created 287 bike parking spaces at 30 locations across the city. More than 90% of these spaces are within secure areas such as purpose built shelters and converted spaces. The remaining 10% are more accessible, providing guests and visitors with improved bike parking.

Our consultation activities showed that 42 out of 48 residents consulted would cycle more if they had improved cycle parking at home.

Safety was overwhelmingly the most important factor for tenants, so we opted for enclosed shelters for all of the primary parking.

The process

We invited social landlords and their tenants to approach us if they feel that they could benefit from improved bicycle parking. Depending on the space available, we worked together with the residents and the RSL to agree up on the best solution considering both ‘off the shelf’ or bespoke solutions for all properties.

The process was divided into the following stages

  • Meeting with resident(s) and/or Housing Officer/RSL representative at the property
  • Discussing suitable options and gathering estimates for different solutions
  • Organising and promoting a consultation event, and sending consultation letters to all residents
  • Choosing a final design based on resident and Housing Officer feedback
  • Purchasing product and installation
  • Celebration event

We worked with the following social landlords

Bristol City Council Housing
United Communities
Knightstone Housing
Places for people

We worked with the following suppliers

Odoni – Elwell
The Peddler and the Roof

Consultation events

Images from some of our bike parking consultation events

Launch events

We held a series of launch events at the end of the project to raise awareness of the new facilities. Dr Bike attended each event to provide free basic repairs, and APE project attended with their Smoothie Bike. It was also an opportunity to get feedback from the residents about what they thought of the new cycle parking.
We also sold D-locks at wholesale price, which was very popular with residents wanting to keep their bike secure.

Subscribe to travel updates, news, and offers

By signing up you are agreeing to our terms and conditions and privacy policy Preferences