The changes have :
- Simplified the layout of the city centre;
- Made the key traffic movement from Anchor Road/Park Street to Baldwin Street more direct;
- Reduced the overall number of traffic movements through the centre, enabling it to draw traffic from other congested routes when necessary, relieving pressure on the city network;
- Diverted through-traffic to more suitable routes;
- Created simplified, largely segregated routes for buses, pedestrians and cyclists.
The previous city centre layout with the scissors junction and circulatory system meant that the city centre was prone to locking up when incidents occurred or when traffic volumes become heavy. This caused traffic problems in other parts of the city and led to widespread congestion.
- Colston Avenue East, near Baldwin Street – to be installed May 2017
- Colston Avenue West, near Colston Tower – to be installed May/June 2017
- Colston Avenue West, near Zed Ally – to be installed September 2017