- Construction of flood wall, new junction for Cumberland Road and Avon Crescent, new pedestrian and cycling route underneath Smeaton Road.
- Construction of new MetroBus stops at Spike Island arts centre and Gaol Ferry Bridge.
- Construction of a new toucan crossing and access to the Chocolate Path by Vauxhall Bridge.
- Construction of a new bridge, walking and cycling paths and new crossings on Bathurst Basin.
The closure is for the construction of:
- a new flood defence wall on Cumberland Road that will provide increased protection from flooding for properties in Avon Crescent,
- the MetroBus guided busway,
- a new pedestrian and cycling route underneath Smeaton Road bridge,
- a new signalised junction at the junction of Avon Crescent with Cumberland Road.
The existing traffic signals on Smeaton Road are also being removed.
Whilst Smeaton Road is closed traffic will be diverted along Avon Crescent.
The entrance to Chocolate Path near the Avon Crescent junction will also be closed during construction. This is to enable construction traffic to access the construction site and ensure the safety of pedestrians and cyclists.
After construction this entrance will be replaced by the new pedestrian and cycling route underneath Smeaton Road bridge.
This will make Avon Crescent a less attractive route for Heavy Goods Vehicles and considerably reduce the traffic on the road – making it a safer environment for residents, pedestrians and cyclists.
19 pay and display bays will be changed to permit parking and pay and display.
This will increase the number of parking bays for residents.
The new bridge will include a new 3.5 metre shared cycling and walking path. This new path will provide the missing link between the existing paths on Commercial Road and Cumberland Road.
As well as constructing the new bridge and path, MetroBus is building new crossings that will make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists to travel between Cumberland Road, Bathurst Basin Parade, Wapping Road and Commercial Road.
The works on Bathurst Basin will be carried out by Volker Laser who are also refurbishing Ashton Avenue Swing Bridge as part of the MetroBus project.
Our contractors will have to close Commercial Road and a small section of Cumberland Road over one or two weekends so they can lift the beams onto the new bridge. We will confirm the dates of the weekend closures shortly.