The following roads will also be closed to motorists, pedestrians and cyclists:
- Cumberland Road (from Gaol Ferry Bridge to Bathurst Basin roundabout),
- Commercial Road,
- Old Bathurst swing bridge.
During the road closure:
- Prince Street Bridge will provide the main access route in and out of Wapping Road and the residential areas and business that lead off it. This is a temporary arrangement in place for the weekend.
- Traffic lights will be in place to allow traffic to take turns over Prince Street Bridge in both directions.
- Walking and cycling routes across Prince Street Bridge will be maintained.
- Access will be maintained for residents of Francombe House and the Iron Foundry on Commercial Road.
- Pedestrians and cyclists will be diverted via Gaol Ferry Steps, Bathurst Parade and Lower Guinea Street.
- The footpath from Lower Guinea Street to Bedminster Bridge will remain open for pedestrians.
During the road closure we will also resurface part of Commercial Road.
Weather permitting and subject to no unforeseen delays, our contractors expect they’ll be able to reopen the roads by the evening on Sunday 20 August.
As well as constructing the new bridge and path, MetroBus is building new crossings that will make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists to travel between Cumberland Road, Bathurst Basin Parade, Wapping Road and Commercial Road.
The bridge will open to traffic in the autumn.
The works on Bathurst Basin will be carried out by Volker Laser who are also refurbishing Ashton Avenue Swing Bridge as part of the MetroBus project.
Smeaton Road has now reopened to traffic.
Apart from bicycles, traffic cannot now enter Avon Crescent from Cumberland Road. This will reduce the amount of traffic using the road and make it a safer environment for residents, pedestrians and cyclists.
Improving Bristol’s communications network
In late June Bristol City Council will start work to improve the city’s ducting and fibre communications network. The work will take place from Underfall Yard through to Wapping Wharf.
Other construction work which will be completed by Autumn 2017
- Near Vauxhall Bridge Installation of a new MetroBus stop, a toucan crossing and a new pedestrian and cyclist entrance to the Chocolate Path.
- Cumberland Road (near the junction with Mardyke Ferry Road) Installation of a new bus lane and bus gate.
- Cumberland Road Bristol City Council are resurfacing the road from Avon Crescent to Wapping Wharf.
- Wapping Wharf Construction of a new MetroBus stop near Gaol Ferry Bridge/Gaol Ferry Steps.