Work for the town centre improvement scheme is continuing in Weston-super-Mare’s town centre. Over Easter, residents and visitors can expect traffic management plans from Thursday 1 to Tuesday 6 April 2021.
Access to the seafront from the M5:
- directed down Winterstoke Road
- turning right to follow Broadway to the roundabout
- turning right along Bridgwater Road
- follow Windwhistle Road/Uphill Road to Beach Road
Traffic leaving Weston-super-Mare from the seafront, heading towards the M5
- directions heading south along Beach Road
- following the diversion above in reverse
- heading northbound along Winterstoke Road
*there is a separate diversion for HGV’s due to a 7.5t weight restriction on Winterstoke Road Bridge
The town centre improvement works will include:
- enhancing cycling and pedestrian links across the town centre
- bringing scattered town centre bus stops into one location on Regent Street, making the use of public transport easier
- alterations to the road layout of Alexandra Parade and Walliscote Road to reduce the volume of traffic in the town centre
- simpler access for pedestrians to the town centre
- increasing the trees in the town centre
- reducing the impact of lorries in the daytime, introducing loading access to a new pedestrian zone on Regent Street with loading times and dedicated loading bays on the outskirts of the pedestrian zone available at all times of the day
The project is being funded by a £6.8m grant from the Department for Transport, Local Growth Fund and Historic England for highways, public realm and transport improvements.
Local Enterprise Partnerships are playing a vital role in driving forward economic growth. By 2021 Government will have invested over £12bn through the Local Growth Fund. For more information on the scheme email Weston.email@example.com
You can see if your bus service is affected, and what alternative arrangements are in place, by searching for your bus service number in our Bus Disruptions page.