Improvements on A4 Bristol to Bath
The Bristol to Bath Corridor project is being led by the West of England Combined Authority and delivered in partnership with Bath and North East Somerset Council and Bristol City Council. It aims to improve travel between Bath and Bristol through better bus services and enabling more cycling and walking.
The Combined Authority will be putting together proposals for a variety of ways to improve the A4 corridor between Bristol and Bath. Work will be broken down into phased projects focusing on different sections of the route.
This work is needed because:
- There is a huge reliance upon cars along the A4 and it is frequently heavily congested
- 50% of the corridor has air quality issues1
- Opportunities for walking and cycling are limited – most of the A4 has no off-road cycle path
- Both Brislington and Newbridge Park and Rides were oversubscribed (pre-COVID-19)
- It can take over 30 mins to get to a bus stop and then bus journeys into either city centre can take up to 50 minutes
- The A4 between Bristol and Bath is a critical route, connecting local communities and connecting communities from elsewhere in the region to our major cities.
The project aims to:
- Enable people to move away from using cars by improving bus services between Bristol and Bath city centres
- The new services will provide more frequent and reliable services, reducing journey times by offering bus priority measures and bus lanes
- Create an end-to-end cycle route connecting communities along the corridor with easy-to-use cycling facilities
- Support opportunities for regeneration and economic growth by offering better connections between our communities
Bristol to Bath Survey
A survey on the Bristol to Bath Corridor project (BtoB Survey) ran from the 26 August – 10 September 2021.
Thank you to everyone who submitted their views. Your responses to the survey will be considered in the development of better bus services, cycling and walking on the A4 corridor between Bristol and Bath.
- Improving bus services and walking and cycling opportunities in the West of England
- Additional information about the Bristol section of the A4 corridor between Bristol and Bath
1 Based on Air Quality Management Areas