Start: 16/01/17 - Finish: 30/11/17
Last modified: 29/03/17
- HGVs will now be able to travel northbound on Hartcliffe Way, with the Bishopsworth Road diversion route used for southbound HGVs only. This change will significantly reduce the number of HGVs using the diversion route. The South Bristol Link provides an alternative route option for all traffic, further reducing the volume of traffic on the diversion route.
- Safety measures including a footway and safety barriers will be installed on sections of Novers Hill where there is currently no pavement. Additional measures to improve the safety of children crossing to local schools will also be introduced following discussions with local businesses, residents, schools and councillors.
- The one-way restriction on Novers Hill will be reduced in distance to lessen the impact on the trading estates.
- Fire engines will be permitted to travel along Hartcliffe Way in both directions.
- Options to reduce the impact on Highbury Road, including school children crossing the road, are currently under consultation. More information on this is provided below.
The one-way restriction and diversion routes
The below restrictions and diversion routes will commence on Monday night, 16th January 2017, following the evening rush hour.
- Light vehicles, buses and HGVs travelling inbound (north) will use Hartcliffe Way as normal.
- Light vehicles travelling outbound (south) will be diverted along Novers Hill and Novers Lane.
- Heavy Goods Vehicles over 7.5 tonnes travelling outbound (south) will be diverted from the Parson Street/Bedminster Road gyratory to the A38 Bedminster Down Road, Bishopsworth Road, Church Road, Whitchurch Road, Whitchurch Lane, and Hengrove Way.
- All vehicles will have the option of using the new South Bristol Link as an alternative route.
- Cyclists will be able to use Hartcliffe Way in both directions with some minor disruptions.
- Buses will be permitted to travel along Hartcliffe Way outbound (south) to reach Vale Lane and travel onwards via Headley Lane.
- Vehicles will be permitted to travel along Hartcliffe Way outbound (south) to access the businesses on Vale Lane. A bus gate will turn these vehicles back onto Hartcliffe Way at the southern end of Vale Lane.
- While the Hartcliffe Way one-way restriction is in operation, Novers Hill will be made one-way outbound (south) from the entrance to the Novers Hill Trading Estate to Novers Road.
Pedestrian crossing and Highbury Road consultation
Last autumn we held a series of drop in sessions for local residents and businesses to discuss the one way restriction and diversion routes. During this process a number of concerns were raised about the potential impact of the works. These concerns included the relocation of a pedestrian crossing, the safety of school children crossing local roads, and the volume and speed of traffic on Highbury Road.
Following meetings with the school and residents we have proposed a number of options to address these concerns. These include creating a crossing point for school children across the entrance to Highbury Road, introducing traffic calming measures along Highbury Road, and restricting some vehicle turning movements to reduce traffic volumes.
MetroBus are currently consulting with residents of Highbury Road about these options. Residents’ comments will be used to inform the final decision on which options to take forward. The selected option will be introduced as part of the MetroBus works due to be carried out on Hartcliffe Way and Parson Street during 2017.