There are two types of taxis in Bristol known as Hackney Carriages and Private Hire.
- Bristol-licensed Hackney Carriage vehicles (also known as ‘taxis’) can pick you up from a taxi rank and can be hailed down in the street.
- The vehicles are painted blue, have an illuminated taxi sign on the roof and display white and red licence plates on the front and rear of the vehicle.
- All ‘taxis’ are wheelchair accessible and there is no charge for assistance dogs or for carrying aids like wheelchairs.
- Private hire vehicles have to be pre-booked and cannot pick you up from a taxi rank or be flagged down in the street.
- Come in various colours (except Bristol Blue) and display yellow and red licence plates with black printing on the front and back of the vehicle.
- Can only be booked through a licensed operator and must be booked prior to travel.
Taxi ranks are located throughout Bristol, some operate in the evenings and others operate 24 hours
- Locations and hours of operation
- Taxi fares and boundaries