We are part of the West of England Combined Authority
As part of this long-term vision, on 1 April 2020 the Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol and South Gloucestershire councils combined resources so the delivery of some operational transport functions is now carried out directly by the West of England Combined Authority.
Working together in this way means we can achieve more to address our challenges as a region, planning public transport across council boundaries.
Staff from the councils transferred to the West of England Combined Authority to form a new combined team and take responsibility for public transport across the region, including:
- Travelwest – managing the travelwest website, including travel information.
- metrobus – managing the metrobus contract and providing service information.
- Bus service information – providing bus timetable information at bus stops and data to journey planners and apps, including real-time predictions.
- Community transport – funding, advice and support for on-demand local transport services, such as dial-a-ride, community buses and voluntary car schemes.
- Supported bus services –procuring and managing bus contracts supported with public money where the service is not commercially viable.
- Concessionary travel – administering a service providing free off-peak bus passes for older people and people with qualifying disabilities.
Although North Somerset Council is not part of the West of England Combined Authority, we work together in a lot of the above services for a more joined approach to transport in the region. The Travelwest website is also partially funded by North Somerset Council.