Management and ownership
This website is owned and operated by the West of England Combined Authority on behalf of the four local authorities in the West of England: Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol City, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Councils (referred to as ‘we’, ‘our’ and ‘travelwest’).
Privacy and data protection
West of England Combined Authority is the data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 2018 and other regulations including the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), which means it determines what your personal data is used for and why it is collected.
The purpose of this privacy notice is to tell you about how we collect and use personal data in connection with our service. We may update this privacy notice from time to time.
Our main address is 70 Redcliff Street, Bristol, BS1 6AL and our contact details can be found on the Combined Authority’s website.
For the purpose of processing data provided via forms on our website the West of England Combined Authority is a joint data controller with:
- Bath & North East Somerset Council
- Bristol City Council
- North Somerset Council
- South Gloucestershire Council
Travelwest uses HTTPS protocol which consists of a communication over Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) within an encrypted connection, protecting against man-in-the-middle attacks. You can find more information on Wikipedia.
What data do we need to collect and use?
Travelwest doesn’t capture and store any personal information about individuals who access this website, and you cannot be personally identified unless you choose to provide your personal information on the following cases:
- When completing one of our online forms or surveys. In these cases, the information you provide will be used exclusively to provide the service you have requested or as part of a survey data analysis, but may be shared with any of the West of England Councils or other partner service providers, where they are best placed to provide that service, or for the purpose of monitoring and evaluating the service that we provide, or to analyse survey data.
We may collect usage data through our online tools to better serve our users in future tools or improve current ones, but no personal information is collected through these.
In order to provide certain transport information, our journey planner may require access to your location or that you input full addresses or coordinates in certain fields. None of this personal data is stored by us.
- Your live location is never stored, and we do not keep a historic of your live locations
- Addresses and postcodes are fully redacted from the data, no partial addresses are stored
- Coordinates are stripped down so that all we can see is coordinates for somewhere within a 1 mile radius area, so we wouldn’t be able to personally identify you. We collect these high level coordinates for monitoring and improvement purposes. We want to understand the general areas our users may travel to and from, which could provide valuable insights to future transport related initiatives
Our live chat software is provided by tawk.to. The system does not automatically collect any personal private information unless you choose to provide this via the live chat form, this is not required to speak with us, you can speak with us anonymously. Tawk.to is GDPR compliant and you can find more information under their data protection policy.
We may share full or partial conversations, removing any irrelevant or personal identifiable information with 3rd parties that will benefit from any feedback you send to us, or 3rd parties that will be able to better handle your requests. In the case that you require a reply from a 3rd party we may have to share your name and contact details with them but will ask for your permission beforehand.
How do we use your personal information?
We don’t share your personal data with any other organisation or individual unless you give your express consent, unless there is a lawful requirement to do so. All information collected is processed in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK GDPR.
We will use any personal information provided via a survey or form for the sole purpose of the subject identified within the form or survey’s page. In this case the processing is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions as the transport authorities in the region.
We will use any personal information provided by newsletter sign-up forms to send you email communications as described above. In this case you as the individual have given us clear consent to process your personal data for a specific purpose.
No personal information is routinely sent or held outside the UK. Should the transfer of personal information outside the UK become necessary, it will only take place if permitted by law, and then only where there are appropriate safeguards in place to protect the data.
How long will we keep your personal information?
We will hold this information for as long as it is needed, or if we are required to do so by law. In practice this means that your personal information may be retained for the relevant period listed below:
- Surveys: Most surveys will not capture any personal information. If a survey captures any personal information, this will only be retained for the duration of the project and you will be provided with relevant contact details to access a copy of your personal data and information on how to make a request to correct or delete your data.
- Contact forms. There are different types of contact forms on our website, and the retention policy may vary, as below:
- Generic contact form for the purpose of receiving complaints, queries or other generic issues: personal information sent via these forms will only be retained for as long as necessary to answer your query. Your personal information will be deleted shortly after we log your complaint or have deemed your query as answered.
- Newsletters: you are able to unsubscribe from our newsletters at any time using an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email. We will keep your personal information archived indefinitely so that we do not email you again. If you wish to permanently delete your personal information from our Mailchimp account please contact us using our generic contact form.
Your right as a data subject
The law gives you a number of rights to control what and how personal information is used by us, including the right to access a copy of your personal information and withdraw your consent when we rely on your permission to use your personal data.
The best way to request a copy of your personal information, or make a request for correction or deletion at any time, is by completing the same form you completed initially or check the contact details within relevant privacy policies on the same page.
If you believe we may still be holding personal information that you wish to delete and the original page or form is no longer available on our website please contact us using our generic contact form.
If you think we have dealt with your information inappropriately or unlawfully, you have the right to complain to the ICO at: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
This website complies with the latest Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations.
Last updated: 09/01/2023