On Wednesday 1st of April 2020 the Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol and South Gloucestershire councils combined resources so the delivery of some operational transport functions is now carried out directly by WECA. Working together in this way means we can achieve more to address our challenges as a region, planning public transport across council boundaries.
Staff from the councils transferred to WECA to form a new combined team and take responsibility for public transport across the region, including delivering the following:
- Concessionary travel – administering a service providing free off-peak bus passes for older people and people with qualifying disabilities.
- Bus service information – providing bus timetable information at bus stops and data to journey planners and apps, including real-time predictions.
- Community transport – funding, advice and support for on-demand local transport services, such as dial-a-ride, community buses and voluntary car schemes.
- Supported bus services –procuring and managing bus contracts supported with public money where the service is not commercially viable.
- metrobus – managing the metrobus contract and providing service information to metrobus iPoints.
- Travelwest – managing the travelwest website, including travel information.
We also want to keep you informed about initiatives implemented across the West of England to promote sustainable travel relating to public transport, walking, cycling, car sharing and electric vehicles as well as providing useful resources for schools, businesses and developers.