Staff from the councils transferred to WECA to form a new combined team and take responsibility for public transport across the region, including delivering the following:
- Concessionary travel – administering a service providing free off-peak bus passes for older people and people with qualifying disabilities.
- Bus service information – providing bus timetable information at bus stops and data to journey planners and apps, including real-time predictions.
- Community transport – funding, advice and support for on-demand local transport services, such as dial-a-ride, community buses and voluntary car schemes.
- Supported bus services –procuring and managing bus contracts supported with public money where the service is not commercially viable.
- metrobus – managing the metrobus contract and providing service information to metrobus iPoints.
- Travelwest– managing the travelwest website, including travel information.
The Travelwest commitment to you
We want to provide you with all the information you need in the simplest way – to help make your life easier, healthier and save you money by encouraging you to grab your bike, your trainers or to catch the bus.
We also want to keep you informed about initiatives implemented across the West of England to promote sustainable travel relating to public transport, walking, cycling, car sharing and electric vehicles as well as providing useful resources for schools, businesses and developers.
Travelwest was funded via the Local Sustainable Transport Fund provided by the DfT (Department for Transport) until 31st March 2016. Since 1st April 2016 it is funded by the four Local Authorities comprising the West of England: Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire. It is being operated by the West of England Combined Authority on behalf of these local authorities since 1st of April 2020.