Residents of Park Road and West View Road were consulted on a range of measures including raised speed tables and cushions, road narrowing and delineated parking bays. Around a third of residents responded to the consultation.
Councillor Mark Shelford, cabinet member for Transport and Environment, said: “We have worked hard with ward councillors and residents to develop measures they consider appropriate in the area in which they live. If the proposals are approved and funding confirmed, we’ll then formally consult on new parking restrictions. We anticipate the improvement works to begin early in the next financial year.”
The final proposals, in line with the feedback received, are as follows:
- The pedestrian island at the junction of West View Road and Charlton Road will be upgraded, including the installation of dropped kerbs
- A priority road narrowing will be introduced in Park Road at the junction with Hawthorne Lane, which will formalise current driving practices
- Existing advisory single white lines across driveway entrances will be repainted
- Redundant disabled parking bays will be removed
- Following the completion of a statutory legal process, double yellow lines are also proposed to be introduced at various junctions along Park Road, to improve visibility and enhance traffic flows, particularly for public transport. This would include the replacement of existing advisory markings at some of the junctions