Please note that our Key Worker offer has now ended and the W2W scheme is running as usual.
The Wheels to Work scheme works in partnership with organisations and charities in Bristol that already provide support to people who are looking to start, change or return to work. View our list of partner organisations here.
The scheme is offered to Bristol residents who are aged 16+ and fall into at least one of the following categories:
- Are unemployed and seeking work
- Have been offered a job in the last four weeks
- Earn less than the living wage
- Are in training, an apprentice or on a work placement
- Free bus travel
- £100 discount on the cost of a refurbished bike, with free lock and set of lights
- Travel training
Scroll down for more information on each offer.
Free bus travel
Wheels to Work offers free short term (daily/weekly) bus travel in the form of a multi-operator voucher or First Bus mTicket, and longer term (monthly) mTickets.
£100 discount on the cost of a refurbished bike
FixX, Life Cycle UK and The Bristol Bike Project offer our bike discount. Please fill in our referral form to access the bike discount, we will then refer you to one of the bike providers below.
FixX – requires a referral.
Address: Hartcliffe Community Farm, Lampton Avenue, Hartcliffe, BS13 0QH
Tel: 07588 492154 (Tues/Weds only)
Life Cycle UK
Address: (far end of car park), Horfield Prison, 19 Cambridge Road, BS7 8PS
Tel: 0117 924 5487
The Bristol Bike Project
Address: The Bristol Bike Project, Hamilton House, Stokescroft, BS2 8TN
Tel: 0117 942 1794
Without a referral, both Bristol Bike Project and Life Cycle UK will accept ‘walk ins’ but you will need to take with you evidence of your employment status. This includes:
- Letter or document confirming you are in receipt of benefits related to unemployment or low income (for example: Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit, Income Support)
- Offer of employment issued within the last calendar month
- Correspondence from training provider
- Correspondence from workplace demonstrating that you are an apprentice or undertaking an unpaid or low paid work placement or internship
- Invitation to job interview or training (if you are not currently employed)
Free travel training
The following travel support is also offered to all recipients of one of the above Wheels to Work key offers. Note that we need at least 1 week of notice to book this in:
Adult Cycle Training
Cycle training sessions can be tailored to any level of experience and will aim to help you feel confident cycling to interviews, your new workplace, training courses or an apprenticeship. The sessions are 1:1 with a private instructor, but if you prefer, you can also bring a friend along.
The cycle training sessions are flexible. They can be arranged at a convenient time and place that suits you and are available to all cyclists living in Bristol.
Accompanied cycle rides
If you’re just starting to ride a bike again, or have just got a new job – sometimes all you need is a little confidence boost help to get you cycling! The company of an experienced cyclist to ‘show you the ropes’, on a route of your choice, will help you relax, grow in confidence and recapture the joy and freedom that is cycling, even in a busy urban environment.
- We arrange a one-hour accompanied cycle ride for your chosen journey
- Often we help people plan, then try, their commute to work and back
- The session includes time at the beginning and end to talk about the ride
- You get a highlighted map of your route with annotated instructions to keep
Personal travel planning
Let an experienced travel advisor help you work out your best route options so that you can easily make your way to your new workplace, training course or apprenticeship.