Starting from 6 November 2023, if you’re a care leaver aged 18-21 and live in the West of England Mayoral Combined Authority or North Somerset Council region, you can claim free bus travel until the end of March 2025!
How to apply for your free care leavers bus pass
To apply for your pass, simply apply online. Applying is simple. All you’ll need:
- Your address: A valid address in the West of England area (Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire)
- Your age: If you’re 18 to 21 you’ll need to verify your age, to make sure that the bus operators are reimbursed correctly. Check the application page for more details.
- Your identity: a recent digital photo that meets the standard photo-pass requirements.
- Unique code: You can get your code by contacting your pathway plan support worker at your Local Authority (Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire, or North Somerset Council).
Your bus pass will then be sent to you in the post which you simply need to scan on the machine reader when boarding the bus.Apply now
What buses can I use my pass with
Your pass will be accepted on most buses in the West of England.
- School services
- Community transport
- Special event services
- Tour buses
- Coach services
- Airport services (A1, A3 and A4)
- Newport bus
- Stagecoach Falcon
- Bath Park & Ride services 21, 31, and 41 (it is accepted on service 4 from Odd Down Park & Ride)
Other exclusions may apply.
Frequently asked questions
This offer will run until 31 March 2025. However, your card will expire on your 22nd birthday if it is before this date.
You just scan your WESTpass on the bus’s ticket machine reader. As always, if you have problems, the driver will help you. For use on WESTlink services, please see the question below.
- You can use your WESTpass on all eligible routes that start in the West of England. The full area covered can be seen in the map below.
Yes. If booking on the app, go to concessions and select the WESTpass. You then simply need to book your trip and show the driver your WESTpass when you board. If you book a WESTlink over the phone, simply mention to the operator that you have a WESTpass.
Anything you like! Whether it is for commuting to work or education, visiting family and friends, going to appointments or exploring our wonderful region.
Once you’ve filled in your application, if everything is in order, your WESTpass will be made and sent to you in the post. We aim to get your WESTpass to you within 7 working days. If you are experiencing a delay, please call 0300 300 0032 or email [email protected].
Because it’s a smartcard system, the best way to process the information you send is through online applications. Here are some alternatives if you don’t have a smart phone or computer:
- Contact your pathway plan support worker at your Local Authority (Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire, or North Somerset Council), who may be able to help.
- You can apply securely online at public internet points, such as libraries.
- You can email our technical support team who will help to submit your application at [email protected].
- You can post your application information to our technical support team. Simply put “Freepost SWSAL” on an envelope, no postage payment required.
- If you need help during your application, or have problems with your card, you can call 0300 300 0032.
WESTpass customer assistance
For assistance, including lost cards, please contact the bus pass team using the details below. Normal opening hours are 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.