Follow these simple guidelines to help keep yourself safe.
We want to you to get out and walk, explore your surrounding and try new routes.
- Make sure other road users can see you – wear light-coloured clothing or something fluorescent
- In the dark, wear a high visibility vest and/or reflective accessories to ensure other road users see you in plenty of time
- Don’t walk between cars queuing at lights or in slow-moving traffic – cyclists and motorbikes can’t see you
- Cross the road at zebra and pelican crossings
- Give yourself plenty of time – accidents are more likely to happen if you’re in a rush!
- Keep at least one ear free from headphone so you can be more aware of surroundings
- Check the weather forecast and plan your route accordingly also look at our page on walking in all weathers