If you live within 3 miles of your work walking is a great way to:
- Stay active
- Socially distance
- Maintain good mental health
- Get that dose of daily exercise our body needs to maintain healthy lifestyle
We picked 4 routes between South, North and East Bristol to walk into the centre at different points. Please note journey time were for the individual walking the route.
- Small detours to another street , through a park might only add small amount of time to your journey
Eg. If you are planning a walk from st george to temple meads area the planner will never direct you through the parks even though it is only a 20 second detour.
Even when walking traffic matters (get off the main road)
- Getting onto a parallel road off main commuter roads make a difference; less noise from traffic, less pollution being breath in.
- Main roads will have more traffic lights and increase waiting time
Find what helps you switch off.
Just because you are walking to work does not mean the time cannot be spend doing something you enjoy.
- Walk through a park
- Walk down a street with interesting buildings
- Find a podcast to listen to
- Add a music playlist or audio book to your phone
- Record some notes for meeting or project or school assignment you might be working on
Find a friend to walk in with (socially distancing obviously)
If you need some advice on walking to work please look at our walk to work tips with advice on making the most of your commute.
Want to know how far you can walk in 10, 20, 30 minutes of your house, or where you park or work? Then try our distance travel map. Yes it does take those hills into account!!