Active and sustainable travel tips & resources.
Walking Cycling Cleaner ways to travel by car Creating safe & healthy streets Ways we can support you
- Find the best route using the Travelwest Journey Planner and explore where you can get to on foot/bike/bus within a certain timeframe
- Add your ideas for how to make walking & cycling better in Bristol on Bristol City Council’s interactive map
- Tips on how to Stay safe while walking and Walking in every season
- Walking routes in the West of England
- Get walking with Walking for Health find a group walk in your area
- Bristol Walk Fest
- Start Cycling with tips on Betterbybike.info
- Maps & Rides for cycling
- Cycling Centres:
- Wheels for All, in Bath: An inclusive programme enabling disabled and non-disabled children and adults, with a wide range of social, emotional, physical and learning requirements, to engage in and enjoy cycling.
- Get the whole family cycling at Bristol’s Family Cycling Centre, the place in Bristol for people of all ages and abilities experience the joys of cycling, in a traffic free space on our iconic Olympic size athletics track. Join the BFCC community on Facebook or sign up to the e-newsletter.
- Strawberry Line Cycle Project, in Yatton: Helping people to be able to get outdoors and active, exploring the Strawberry Line. Offering people with learning disabilities a chance to get meaningful work and vocational training.
- Warmley Wheeles, in Warmley: Whether you’re a seasoned cyclist, have additional needs or have never been on a bicycle before, they have a wide range of standard and specially adapted bicycles you can use to ride on the Bristol to Bath cycle path.
- Join other families for rides and find out how to try out a range of adaptions for carrying children including child bike seats, a trailer and the Dutch ‘Barrow Bike’ with East Bristol Kidical Mass
Cleaner ways to travel by car
- Electric Vehicle One-To-One Session – Free one-to-one phone conversation with our Electric Vehicle expert, they will answer any questions you have, tell you about the latest grants available and signpost you to trusted information sources. To get in contact, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Electric Vehicle Demo Loan – Loan one of our demo vehicles for two-weeks, and experience living with an EV for your everyday travel needs. This is a free service; the only expense to you is in charging the car with electricity.
- Car clubs are perfect for short trip solution. Simply pay by the hour with no extra costs for insurance, petrol and maintenance costs. Find your nearest car club, and find out more about using car clubs for businesses, offering a practical solution for visiting clients or making deliveries in and around the city.
- Find out about Car sharing: You don’t even need to own a car, just search for drivers going the same way.
Creating safe & healthy streets
- Set up a Play Street with your neighbours with Playing Out’s toolkits and advice
- Are you concerned about speeding traffic? Set up a Community SpeedWatch with Avon & Somerset Police
- Report a problem on a street via Fix My Street
- Report a Road Safety Concern in Bristol
- Hold a street party to bring your neighbours together and raise awareness on traffic issues by giving alternatives to getting about by car. Find out how to do this in Bristol
- Clean up your street: Order a litter pick pack from Bristol Waste and get your neighbours to take the Big Tidy Pledge together
- Control the number of parked cars by requesting a Resident Parking Scheme (RPS) in Bristol
- Provide on-street bicycle parking – get free cycle stands through Lifecycle UK (these need permission from the landowner, so easiest if installed on private land/property)
- Ask your local school if they have a Travel Plan which encourages children and staff to walk, scoot and cycle to school or bike training and cycling events. Ask them to get in touch with our schools officers to talk about the Modeshift Stars active travel initiatives for schools.